Originally built in 1898 as Aspen’s St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, this building was moved from Aspen to Marble on a flatbed railroad car in 1908. It remained in the possession of the Episcopalian church, but served as a place of worship for all religious groups in the community. The Denver diocese of the Episcopal Church often protested its multi-denominational use, but ultimately relented to rent the facility to the Community Church for $1 a year. In 1984 the Episcopal Church agreed to give the church building to the Community Church and sell them the land for $5,000.
The original aeolian organ remains in the church and is still used. The stained glass windows have all been replaced in the last decade, and are all inspired by local scenes and landscapes. Each one is dedicated to someone instrumental in the operations of the church.
Recent efforts, aided by a grant from the Colorado Historical Society and a great amount of volunteering and individual contributions, resulted in the complete restoration of the old building and its foundation. At the same time a Fellowship Hall was constructed at the back of the church lot. Restoration was completed in September of 2003.
With its old clapboard sides, this one-room church house evokes an era gone by. The Church and the Fellowship Hall are available for weddings, receptions and other events.
Read more about the Marble Community Church at their website: MarbleCommunityChurch.org